Looking for Something?

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blueberry Crumble Muffins


           Blueberry plants are fickle little things. My family has tried to grow them several times, and we usually end up with sour little berries attached to shriveled plants.  Of course, it may be that we just suck at gardening, or that we neglect to water them, but after many dead blueberry plants, my dad decided that we should just buy blueberries when in season.  
          After grocery shopping yielded an abundance of blueberries, I decided that rather than just stuffing my face with the blueberries (which I could easily do) I wanted to bake with them.  As pie requires lots of time, I decided to make blueberry muffins instead. 

         The muffins were extremely easy to put together, and tasted amazing.  The muffins were moist, sweet, and soft, and studded with vast amounts of ripe blueberries.  The streusel added a sweet crunch to the muffins that really took them from being great, to fantastic.

          As I love all things mini (hinted at by the blogs title), I made some mini blueberry muffins, and some full sized.  The mini’s were perfect for a one bite treat, and the large muffins were, well, larger.  I can not stress how much I wish I had one of these muffins right now.  But I guess I have to just stare at the pictures and drool.
Blueberry Crumble Muffins
Original Source: here 
Makes 7 muffins

Muffin batter:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2tbs white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup milk 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
Streusel topping:
½ +2tbs cup white sugar
1/3 + 2 tbs cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
turbino sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line muffin pan with 7 muffin liners.
  2.  Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
  3.  In a another bowl mix together the vegetable oil, egg, milk, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Stir well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until you have a thick and slightly lumpy batter. Fold in the blueberries. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
  4.  Combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and mix with you fingertips until like moist sand.  Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the muffins.  Lightly sprinkle the muffins with turbino sugar.
  5.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment